Saturday, March 20, 2010

Quest For the F. F. F. : The Conclusion

Welcome back. As those of you have been breathlessly following events here at The Vault know, I recently undertook a quest -- some would say a journey of the soul -- to achieve one of the greatest and rarest honors in comic fandom, Marvel's honorary title of Fearless Front Facer. I began my quest by contacting Marvel editor Tom Brevoort, who informed me that he would need to consult with the ultimate authority on all things Marvel, Stan lee, in order to determine whether or not I was worthy of the honor. I followed this up by preparing a video catalog of my devotion to Marvel, so that Stan and Tom would be able to fully weigh such a serious topic before rendering judgment.

My expectation was that I would have to perform one or more Herculean tasks in order to receive the title of Fearless Front Facer if, in fact, my petition was granted at all. With that in mind, I began a rigorous training regimen that included memorizing Marvel Handbook entries, pouring over Atlas monster titles to identify character protoypes and learning to play the Merry Marvel Marching Society marching theme on the recorder.

However, it appears as those efforts will not be necessary, as I have just received an email from Stan Lee himself with his final judgment. So what was the verdict? Have I achieved Marvel's most exalted state? Or am I doomed, like Moses, to stand forever outside the promised land, destined to call myself a Permanent Marvelite Maximus for all eternity instead?

I'll let Stan's email provide the answer:


"Dear Scott Harris, RFO, QNS, P.M.M.,

Having been deeply moved by your loyalty to the Mother Company that is, and shall be ever, Marvel Comics, and thankful to the ever-caring Tom Brevoort, I most solemnly take this opportunity to make an official pronouncement...

Now and forevermore, the most loyal and deserving Scott Harris shall be known as Scott Harris FFF!

Let no man say him nay!

Scott, you shall be entitled to all the benefits and privileges attendant upon your high and noble rank. All of Marveldom United hereby congratulates you and is certain that you will use your new-found powers wisely and for the benefit of mankind.

Excelsior!

Stan Lee"


So there you have it. I am duly humbled by this honor and would like to thank Stan, Tom and all the other Marvel fans who have encouraged me on this epic journey. I know some of you have expressed concern that, should I achieve the title of Fearless Front Facer, my commentary and criticism of Marvel's comics would be compromised, but I assure you, the opposite is true; as a Fearless Front Facer, I feel it is my solemn duty to uphold the ideals of Marvel and ensure that today's custodians of the company meet those high standards as well.

In the meantime, I invite those new readers who have popped in for the Quest to take a look around and check out some of my other ongoing features such as Lettercolumn Classics, Great Moments in Comics and Decade in Review. And as always, Make Mine Marvel.


Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Congratulations, Scott!

Welcome to the ranks! Great email from Stan--thanks for sharing that.

Here's a link to the "documentation" for my recently bestowed FFF as promised:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=243368&id=100000212997148

Congrats!

I was an R.F.O., Q.N.S. and K.O.F, but never got that elusive No-Prize.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8636974#Post8636974

Neal, please contact me about your FFF award. It's about sharing your story in a book. Thanks. Robert.

Hey Scott,

I'm not sure if you're reading this but thank you so much for creating this post. It helped me get my own F.F.F. status! I'll post my own letter to Tom B below and his response. He actually awarded me Fearless Front Facer himself! Have a great day, from one F.F.F. Scott to another!
---
Hello Mr. Brevoort,

Since my youth I have been a fan of the MIGHTY MARVEL bullpen, eagerly following the exploits of the Fantastic Four, among other titles. For years I wrote in to the FF fan page, hoping to see my letters in print. Then, during Dan Slott’s run in issue 8 I was thrilled to see my letter in print and your response to it there! I bought up multiple copies and distributed them to family. Beneath this achievement I noted “THE HALLOWED RANKS OF MARVELDOM”. Since the late 1980s’ I have purchased at least 3 Marvel mags per month, qualifying me for the classic MMMS title Real Frantic One. I also recruited both of my children to Marvel’s Rollickin’ Ranks, making me a Keeper of the Flame. I became a Quite Nuff Sayer when I had a letter published in issue 8 of Slott’s FF run. Finally, I received a No-Prize from you for the email I sent after reading FF issue 24 and searching through my mags until I discovered FF issue 352 when Stan “the Man” Lee dubbed all comic shop owners No-Prized in perpetuity.

It is with honor that I look at those accomplishments and note that I am graciously entitled to be called a Permanent Marvelite Maximus.

The day I received my No-Prize I set my sights on one final accolade, the title of Fearless Front Facer. I set upon a quest that day to achieve this title, not knowing what it entailed. To my surprise, very little about the F.F.F. is locatable online. Then, to great excitement, I discovered another like myself who has previously embarked on this quest.

It was March 2010 when blogger Scott Harris embarked on this same quest, posting his letter to you along with your responses. From these I discerned that to date at that time only the great Stan Lee had awarded the F.F.F. Scott Harris was thusly honored by Stan’s declaration that “Now and forevermore, the most loyal and deserving Scott Harris shall be known as Scott Harris F.F.F.!”

All would seem lost, as the great Stan Lee is in the galactic beyond, though his spirit forever lives within MARVEL’s mighty mags.

I reread your words to Harris, and then realized there may be hope yet. You wrote him back “In theory, it is probably within my powers to grant somebody Fearless Front Facer status.”

Just as Harris once stood at MARVEL’s precipice, today, then, I am announcing the beginning of my quest to achieve the title of Fearless Front Facer. My hopes for the F.F.F. accolade are in your hands. I humbly desire to join the ranks of the few and swear to uphold the honor of the title if earned. I realize that these accomplishments alone may not entitle me, however, it is my hope that, as Reed Richards once embarked into the odyssey of the unknown a mere man and returned to the earth’s soil with the responsibility of the miraculous, I too shall grasp the responsibility of something only dreamed of.

I ask humbly for the House of Ideas to consider my quest. Like Scott Harris before me, I am prepared to take on whatever trials in the name of Marvel that are required and I vow not to abandon my quest until I can finally proclaim myself a F. F. F.

As always, thank you for your time and care. I await patiently your response.

Yours,

Scott J. Toney

Pittsburgh, PA

P.M.M.

Here's Tom B's response...

---------

Scott,

Like your fellow Scott before you, it appears to mine eyes that you have worked diligently and remained steadfast in your devotion to the Marvel cause for many years. And as it has been over a decade since the previous Scott was anointed and raised up to this exalted status, I feel that the time may have come once again. Therefore, by the powers conveyed upon me as Master of the Marvel Arts, I do hereby proclaim that you, Scott J. Toney of Pittsburgh, having proven your mettle and achieved the five preliminary ranks of Marveldom, are now recognized by this body as a Fearless Front Facer! Let no lesser man say thee nay, for truly you have tasted the nectar of wisdom and followed the pathway to truth.

So be it!

Tom B