Friday, July 23, 2010

The Week in Geek: July 17-23

Hey there, old friends. Welcome to my newest ongoing feature here at The Vault, The Week in Geek. As some of you know, this blogging thing isn't just a groovy hobby, it's also how I pay the bills (and by "pay the bills" I mean "afford these goofy back issues"). Because I spend so much of my time blogging for money, I don't always have the time or energy to update The Vault as much as I would like because, let's face it, when you finish work the last thing you want to do to relax is go back to work.


Luckily, I've come up with the perfect solution: blatant laziness. After all, many of the articles I write for my day job -- which encompasses such esteemed and wildly popular websites as Moviefone.com, TVSquad.com, Popeater.com and (coming soon)NextMovie.com -- are about the exact same subjects I would be writing about here at The Vault anyway. Okay, maybe I wouldn't be highlighting comic books from the 40's about self-amputation, but when it comes to geeky TV shows and movies, it's pretty much the same thing.

And that's where The Week in Geek comes in: each week I will provide a brief overview of all the cool pop culture and geek-centric articles I've written for these other sites. Don't worry, I'll still be producing comics stories for The Vault as often as my schedule allows; The Week in Geek just allows me to provide you guys with an even larger taste of me, which judging from the slew of emails I receive every day is something I'm guessing pretty much everyone has been demanding.

So let's get right to it with our first Week in Geek, a look back at some of the cool happenings from July 17-23:


July 19: 'Inception' Ending and Theories: What Just Happened?!

Confused by the end of Inception? No? Well, you will be by the time you finish reading this article. You should only check this out if you've already seen the movie or don't intend to, because there are some major spoilers involved.


July 21: Original 'Tron' Star Cindy Morgan Talks About the Movie's Legacy and Blowing Up a Golf Course in 'Caddyshack'

Yes, it's true: I had a chance to interview Yori from Tron, who also played Lacey Underall in Caddyshack. What would happen if fans of these two movies got in a fight? Well, I thnk we all know that one side would end up with their horn-rimmed glasses snapped and their pocket protector ripped in two, but whatever. Cindy loves both groups equally for what they are.


July 21: Cartoon Network Revives 'Hole in the Wall' ... And Other Game Show Mistakes

Don't ask me why anyone would want to revive this ridiculous show, but Cartoon Network must see something the rest of us don't. I took this opportunity to look back at some of the other terrible game show ideas that have graced screens over the past few decades.


July 23: Working Title Builds 'Astro City'

Official friend of The Vault Kurt Busiek was nice enough to take some time out of his busy Comic-Con schedule to talk to me about the upcoming Astro City movie, which was announced on Thursday. Notice that he's still teasing fans with promises of Loony Leo. You're a bad, bad man, Kurt.


Next Week: That's it for this week, but don't worry, there will be plenty more geekery next week, including my choices for the cast of the Justice League movie. Which we'll probably see about the same time we get that Loony Leo spotlight issue.


Bookmark and Share

0 comments: